I took a little of this person's ideas, and a little of that person's ideas from a thread on Ravelry, and created something that my mind thought would work out. The results were bang on!
So, without further ado, Kerry's Rice Pudding! (Pictures tomorrow - It's too dark and the kitchen's too dirty for photography tonight):
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon to taste (I used about a tablespoon and a half - we like cinnamon a lot)
- Mix one cup evaporated (not condensed! This is important!) milk, one cup water and one teaspoon vanilla in a measuring cup. Set aside.
- Put rice into dry pan, over med high heat, stirring constantly, brown slightly.
- Add milk and water to pan, bring to a boil.
- Add cinnamon, stir.
- Boil for 3 minutes, put lid on pan, turn off heat.
- Let rice sit for 20 minutes with lid on.
- Mix remaining evaporated milk and enough whole milk to bring to 2 cups. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 cup sugar, stir until sugar is dissolved
- Add sugar/vanilla/milk mixture to cooked rice. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, replace lid, turn off heat.
- Allow to rest for another 20 minutes.
- Whisk together egg and one cup of whole milk. Pour into rice pudding and mix well.
- Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer with cover on for 5 minutes.
- Serve either immediately, or allow to cool, then serve.
Everyone declared it a success, too!